Education & Training Opportunities
The CWPCN facilitates the provision of various courses, workshops and training related to palliative care for health care providers in the Central West Community. The education sessions are offered to any health care provider in the Central West region although there is an opportunity to offer the sessions to your organization or agency to enable your staff attend the sessions as a team. Along with this, the sessions can be tailored to fit the needs of your organization/agency. Below is a list of some of the sessions that are offered.
- Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE)Cost: $320.00Central West: Woodhall Park Care Community (10260 Kennedy Rd., S., Brampton)
Wednesdays, Sept 13 | Oct 18 | Dec 20 | Jan 24
8:30am – 12:30pm
Register by July 7, 2017
Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before July 14th, 2017.Mississauga Halton: MH CCAC (2655 North Sheridan Way, Suite 140, Mississauga)
Thursdays of 2018, Jan 11 | Feb 15 | April 12 | May 10
Register by October 26th, 2017
Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before Nov 9th, 2017.
Components of CAPCE include:
- Self-directed reading and reflection
- 6 e-learning modules
- 4 in-person, case-based learning sessions (4 hours in length)
- 4 peer-to-peer exchanges (learning debrief)
- 2 practical application assignments
- 6 individual or small group coaching sessions with local Palliative Care Consultant
- This course will take approximately 5 months to complete
- Will require 3-4 hours of study time per week
CAPCE Selection Criteria:
- Enhanced Fundamentals session (to be completed after acceptance to CAPCE)
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
- Minimum of 1 year experience (or equivalent) caring for people with progressive, life-limiting illnesses
- Access to an internet-enabled computer
- Knowledge of basic computer programs
- Applications will be screened and successful candidates will be contacted by email to complete the registration process
- Must attend all sessions in your chosen location
To obtain more information about the CAPCE course, click here
- Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
This introductory level course is designed for participants from all backgrounds.The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program is interactive, case-based and consists of three in-person learning sessions (3 hours each), reflective activity, peer to peer exchanges, reading requirements, and completion of eleven E-learning modules. Participants must have access to an internet enabled computer.
Attendance at all in-person learning sessions is mandatory.
This course runs in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.
To obtain more information about the Fundamentals course, click here
- Pain Assessment and Management (PAM) for Nurses
This is an intensive 2-day course for NPs, RNs & RPNs working in any setting.A certificate of Continuing Education will be provided when learners have completed both full day sessions (8:30am-4:30pm), 3 practical assignments, 2 online learner reflections and the post-course evaluation.
To obtain more information about the PAM course, click here
- Advanced Comprehensive Education (ACE) For Support Worker
Building on the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course, ACE focuses on the support worker’s scope of practice.
The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course is a pre-requisite. Please bring your textbook with you.
To obtain more information about the ACE course, click here